Internship in Business ***
++Please see note below.
DESCRIPTION AND GOALS
The course is mainly aimed at students taking Advanced-level Spanish (Spanish III) or a higher level of Spanish who wish to experience a hands-on approach to the business area in the Spanish context. It is designed for students to get to know the structure and working procedures of a company, to develop professional skills in the area of the company and to get acquainted with the dynamics of professional relations in the Spanish-speaking world. Students will be expected to gain professional self-awareness through observation, participation and analysis of professional activities, and through the interaction with colleagues in a work environment related to their field. It will develop in two different settings: a Spanish company and the university, where students will be advised by the internship tutor and the course instructor, respectively.
Students will need to:
- Spend approx. 8-10 hours at a local company per week, where they will need to do the tasks assigned by their company tutor. The company?s work environment will be in Spanish. However, students may need to complete part of the tasks in English.
- Attend all training sessions and meetings at the university with their course instructor and do all assigned presentations (approx. 15 hours).
- Write a logbook, which will e-mailed to the instructor on a weekly basis.
- Write a final report, to be submitted at the end of the course.
Final grades will be awarded according to the following breakdown:
- Participation in training sessions and meetings at the university: 10%
- Logbook, oral presentations and written assignments: 20%
- Final report: 30%
- Assessment report from the company: 40%
APPLICATION AND PLACEMENT PROCEDURES
Students interested in the course will receive information on how to proceed in order to apply for the course via email. They will need to e-mail their CV and a statement of purpose to their Bilbao Site Specialist. The information provided by the student will help in the placement of the students. Nevertheless, business companies will do the final selection and ISA cannot guarantee the placement of students in their preferred professional area.
Upon reviewing their documents, the student will be contacted to let them know about the status of their application for the course. If they are admitted to the course, they will receive a document containing an agreement form; they will need to complete this form and return it by the due date specified.
Applicants will be informed about their admission to the course before their program start date. Placements will depend on availability, and both the statement of purpose and academic background will be taken into consideration. The university will try to guarantee placement for all applicants.
This course requires an additional fee of 225€.
*** The student must be registered for Advanced-level Spanish (Spanish III) or have an equivalent level of Spanish.
1. Class attendance is essential in all courses. Therefore, it will be checked daily. Missing classes will negatively affect the student?s final grade.
2. Students are responsible for transportation costs to and from their internship placement. Travel time to/from the internship does not count towards the hours required at the placement.
Internship in Business
Universidad de Deusto - Bilbao
Area of Study
Accounting, Finance, International Relations, Internship, Marketing, Public Relations, Tourism
--The student must be registered for Spanish III or have an equivalent level.
--All students must submit an application, a statement of purpose (written in Spanish) and their résumé (in English or Spanish).
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units6