Popular Subject Areas
History & Culture
Founded in 1348, Charles University is the largest and oldest university in the Czech Republic. The university has numerous buildings throughout Prague, and all ISA courses are held in the Catholic Theological Faculty building located in Prague 6, an area where many local Czech students live and attend classes. ISA works closely with faculty at Charles University to develop coursework exclusively designed for ISA students, including courses in history, cinema, political science, business, Czech language, European studies, and more. You can enjoy small class sizes with fellow ISA students as your classmates.
Summer 1 2022
Jun 04, 2022 - Jul 15, 2022
Mar 10, 2022
Forms and Payment Deadline
Mar 25, 2022
90 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- This session is closed and is no longer accepting applications.
Study Abroad Program Description
Take your pick from a variety of interesting humanities-based courses during your summer in Prague. ISA works closely with faculty at Charles University in order to develop coursework that is exclusively designed for ISA students.
Class options include subjects such as history, art and architecture, cinema, business, and Czech language. All courses are instructed in English, with the exception of the Czech language course, and are taught by Charles University faculty. Enjoy small class sizes that consist of other students on your ISA program.
Enjoy Flexibility with ISA Flex
We’ve partnered with Arizona State University (ASU) to help you overcome common study abroad challenges by adding an ASU Online course to your ISA program. With more than 2,100 courses to choose from, ISA Flex minimizes academic challenges, like major requirements and limited course options, so you can make the most of your experience abroad. Once you’ve applied, access the Flex form in your ISA Student Portal for more information on how to add this to your program and enroll in the course you need.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Bridging Cultures Orientation
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
- Course Availability
- Course availability is based on enrollment numbers. You should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute cancellations.
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Course Selection
- You can take two courses during your program.
- Alternate Courses
- You are required to select alternate courses in the event of top course choices conflicting on the timetable, course cancellations, or registration issues.
- You should get your alternate courses pre-approved by your academic advisor.
- Course Credit
- ISA recommends 6 U.S. semester credits (3 U.S. semester credits per class) be awarded for your program. However, transfer credits earned will be decided entirely by your home university. It is important to be in touch with your university about course approvals and transfer credit pre-departure.
- According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, you must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by your home university.
- Course Level Recommendations
- ISA offers course level recommendations for the courses listed below. These ISA recommendations are intended to help with the determination of course equivalencies at U.S. home institutions.
- Transcript Information
- The transcript from Charles University will reflect contact hours, U.S. grade equivalency recommendations, and U.S. semester credit recommendations. Please be in touch with your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
Wondering how you’ll fund your program? ISA’s got you covered! If you receive financial aid for your home university, you will likely be able to use those funds for study abroad too. The first step is usually speaking with your home university. Check out the steps for using financial aid here.
Need to know how much to budget for a term abroad? Take a look at the additional expenses you might expect, depending on your program.
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. We offer over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, visit the scholarships and grants page.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Czech lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor to Prague. Uncovering the uniqueness of your neighborhood and the surrounding areas will help you to feel right at home. Housing is located either within walking distance from campus, or near public transportation (metro, bus, tram) that can take you to class. With an open and adaptable mind, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
We strive to match your housing requests with our available accommodations, however, housing requests cannot be guaranteed.
Student apartments are fully furnished, and rent and utilities are included in the program price. The apartments are speckled throughout the city of Prague, rather than all in one building, and are either within walking distance of campus or near public transportation lines. Apartments typically house 2-4 ISA students of the same gender, and bedrooms are double occupancy. Apartments are equipped with basic kitchen supplies, a clothes washing machine, and drying racks (no dryers). Meals are not included.
You will pay a $500 refundable security deposit if living in this ISA housing option. ISA may retain some, or all, of this deposit in the event of damage to property, or if utility usage exceeds the allotted monthly amount
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
A UNESCO World Heritage site, south Bohemia's Cesky Krumlov is one of the region's prettiest towns. Made up of elegant Renaissance buildings that house charming cafés, pubs, restaurants, shops, and galleries, Cesky Krumlov is surrounded by picturesque countryside. On this day trip, you will explore the quaint town center, visit the castle, and a walk along the serine Vltava River.
There are few regions in the world which can offer Moravia's enviable combination of World Heritage architectural gems, unspoiled farmland, countryside views, and local traditions that still imbue the daily lives of locals despite dating from as many as six centuries ago. The town boasts quaint churches and monuments, sun-soaked vineyards, brightly colored houses, and a reputation for unsurpassed Central European hospitality.
Terezín gained international notoriety after becoming a concentration camp during WWII. The ghetto was used as a holding ground for the overflow of prisoners awaiting transport to Auschwitz and other extermination camps, although about a quarter of the inmates (33,000) perished in Terezín itself due to the awful living conditions.