Communication Research Methods
The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Communication Studies, Research
Taught In English
WP 1010 Introduction to Academic Writing
WP 1111 Integrated Academic Writing and Ethics
WP 1212 Academic Writing and Research
CN 2301 Contemporary Mass Communication
CN 2408 Issues in Context
CN 3521 Communication Theories
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Examination of key concepts of social science research as applied to communication. Quantitative and qualitative research techniques. History and development of communication research. Sampling and research ethics. Exploration of the major approaches to research.
This course prepares students for the Communication Seminar by teaching them how to write a literature review and do a pilot study, and requiring them to produce both to meet the summative assessment requirements. This is also valuable preparation for students who will undertake graduate studies after completing their degree. Moreover, an understanding of mass media research methods and goals is important to people who want to work in the communication industry.
After taking this course students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the major theories and key concepts relevant to the field of communication research.
2. Demonstrate awareness of the diversity of approaches to understanding media research in both historical and contemporary contexts, and of the uses and significance of those approaches.
3. Demonstrate understanding of the dynamics of media discourses in the shaping of culture and social attitudes.
4. Analyze arguments and positions related to research theory and practice with reference to relevant literature.
5. Select and apply quantitative and qualitative research methods in examining a contemporary issue or phenomenon concerning the mass media
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
In congruence with the teaching and learning strategy of the college, the following tools are used:
- Classes consist of lectures and class discussions.
- Office Hours: Students are encouraged to make full use of the office hours of their instructor, where they can ask questions about their own original articles and go over lecture material
- Use of a Blackboard site, where instructors post lecture notes, assignment instructions, announcements and additional resources.