Tourism and Cultural Heritage (Taught in Spanish)
Universidad de Barcelona
Area of Study
High Intermediate, Advanced, Superior
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Alternate Course Title in Spanish: Turismo y Patrimonio
Discovering, knowing, enjoying and experiencing culture and heritage are some of the main reasons for tourists to travel and, are also selling points to promote a destination. This course provides the basic keys to interpret the architectural, archeological, urban and artistic heritage at both local and global levels, in order to contribute to the cultural sustainability of a given destination. The analysis tools provided will be applied on field trips and through case studies. This course also provides the basis for further development in specialty subjects: management of cultural tourism and heritage mediation. The student will, therefore, be able to make objective and subjective analysis of heritage assets and know how to communicate them, both written and orally, as well as to integrate them into a tourism project.
- Students must demonstrate knowledge and understanding in a study field based on secondary school and that relies on advanced textbooks and includes some aspects that imply knowledge about the vanguard of it.
- Students must be able to collect and interpret important information (in their study field) in order to formulate judgments with reflections on important social, scientific and ethical issues.
- Evaluate the social and environmental impact of actions in his or her field, sustainability.
- Have a commitment to ethics.
- Understand the principles of tourism and the importance of its socio-cultural and environmental impact.
- Identify, increase the value of, and manage cultural and natural heritage for tourism use.
- BLOCK 1: INTRODUCTION TO CULTURAL HERITAGE AND TOURISM
- BLOCK 2: ANALYSIS TOOLS OF CULTURAL HERITAGE
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.