Electronic Technology in Biomedicine

Universidad Carlos III de Madrid

Course Description

  • Course Name

    Electronic Technology in Biomedicine

  • Host University

    Universidad Carlos III de Madrid

  • Location

    Madrid, Spain

  • Area of Study

    Biomedical Engineering, Biomedical Sciences

  • Language Level

    Taught In English

  • Course Level Recommendations


    ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.

    Hours & Credits

  • ECTS Credits

  • Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
  • Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
  • Overview

    Electronic technology in biomedicine (257 - 15542)
    Study: Bachelor in Biomedical Engineering
    Semester 2/Spring Semester
    2nd Year Course/Lower Division

    Compentences and Skills that will be Acquired and Learning Results:

    - Know the purpose and operation of analog and digital electronic systems
    - Operation of basic electronic instrumentation and being able to measure with them.
    - Knowledge and use of main electronic parts.
    - Ability to design, dimension, build and apply basic electronic functions.
    - Ability to use computer aided design tools for electronic circuit design, identify the parts in an electronic circuit and know its funtion in an schematic diagram.

    Description of Contents: Course Description

    T1: Introduction
    - Sensors and actuators. Analog and digital signals. Block diagram of an electronic system.
    - Information transmission. Analog signals parameters. Digital signals parameters. Power supply.
    T2: Digital Electronics.
    - Boole Algebra, Logic Gates, Combinational circuits. Flip-Flops and counters.
    T3: Circuit Theory.
    - DC Circuits
    - AC Circuits
    - Transient and sinusoidal response of RC and RL circuits
    - Basic circuit theorems
    T4: Instrumentation.
    - Multimeter
    - Signal generator
    - Oscilloscope
    T5: Electronic Components.
    - Diodes
    - MOSFET
    - Polarization
    - Single transistor amplifiers
    T6: Analogue Subsystems.
    - Operational amplifiers and circuits.
    - AC response
    - Computer circuit simulation
    T7: Electronic circuits for biomedicine.
    - Instrumentation amplifiers
    - Filters

    Learning Activities and Methodology:

    - Theory classes (large group), problem resolutions classes (small groups), individual tutorials and student personal homework; oriented to theoretical knowledge acquisition.

    - Laboratory practices and problems resolution classes in small groups, individual tutorials and student personal homework; oriented to practical knowledge related with the fields of the course.

    - Computer sessions in small groups using CAD tools for electronics circuits¿ simulations. The goal of these sessions is to encourage the use of the CAD tools to complement the theoretical-practical learning during the course

    Assessment System:

    The tests of first and second blocks in the continuing assessment are valued 30% of total mark. Lab exercises also are valued 20%. The final examination has a value of the remaining 50%. The last course block is evaluated together with the final examination. The minimum mark in the final exam is 4 points. For the students not following continuing evaluation, the general rules of the university apply.

    Basic Bibliography:

    Floyd, Thomas L.. Principles of electric circuits. Pearson Prentice Hall. 2010
    Floyd, Thomas L.. Electronic devices. Pearson/Prentice Hall. 2008
    Floyd, Thomas L.. Digital fundamentals. Pearson Prentice Hall,. 2009

Course Disclaimer

Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.

ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits are converted to semester credits/quarter units differently among U.S. universities. Students should confirm the conversion scale used at their home university when determining credit transfer.


This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some are essential to make our site work; others help us improve the user experience. By using the site, you consent to the placement of these cookies.

Read our Privacy Policy to learn more.