Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The aims of the course are to:
- introduce the student into a number of metaphysical terms, theses, and problems
- introduce the student into a number of contemporary discussions about these theses and problems, mainly in the broadly ‘analytical’ style.
- familiarize the student with a number of classic papers of the contemporary metaphysical literature
- teach the student how to write a paper
The topics that shall be discussed in the course are:
- what is a substance or individual thing?
- the distinction between intrinsic and relational properties
- theories about time
- theories about universals
- the problem of identity across time
- what is "existence" (What sorts of things exist?)
TYPE OF ASSESSMENT
The final grade is calculated as follows:
• Written examination (50%)
• Final paper (50%)
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Some courses may require additional fees.