Popular Subject Areas
International Business & Courses with Locals
In 1960, Colombian business leaders founded Universidad EAFIT, Medellín's most prestigious private university and the first in Antioquia to receive High Quality Institutional Accreditation from the National Ministry of Education. While the university specializes in business courses, EAFIT's Spanish as a Foreign Language Program has 25 years of experience in teaching languages and has earned ACCET accreditation. The program was also the first in Colombia to be certified by the Cervantes Institute. Located near the hip El Poblado neighborhood, the U.S. style campus features native trees and flowers and modern buildings. Campus amenities include a cultural center, library, research cubicles and study rooms, computer labs, bank, healthy-food snack bar, cafeterias and restaurants, gym and pool.
Spring 1 2022
Jan 17, 2022 - Jun 11, 2022
Nov 01, 2021
Forms and Payment Deadline
Nov 15, 2021
180 - 240 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Study Abroad Program Description
Enroll in the International Business & Courses with Locals program to take business, economics and international relations in English with Colombians, improve your Spanish proficiency or take courses with locals.
Courses available in English and Spanish include business, economics, finance, management, engineering and international relations. Spanish language courses are available at all levels through the university's Spanish as a Foreign Language Program. Courses in Spanish requiring an advanced Spanish level (4 or more semesters of college-level Spanish) include biology, communications, engineering, literature, music, political science and psychology. All courses are taught by host university faculty at the Universidad EAFIT.
Semester + Semester Programs Available: You can combine the Spring + Fall OR Fall + Spring sessions at a discounted price. For more information about this option, please contact your ISA Colombia Site Specialist.
Enjoy Flexibility with ISA Flex
We’ve partnered with Arizona State University (ASU) to help you overcome common study abroad challenges by adding an ASU Online course to your ISA program. With more than 2,100 courses to choose from, ISA Flex minimizes academic challenges, like major requirements and limited course options, so you can make the most of your experience abroad. Once you’ve applied, access the Flex form in your ISA Student Portal for more information on how to add this to your program and enroll in the course you need.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Orientation
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
180 - 240
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
12 - 16
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
18 - 24
- Course Selection
- The courses below reflect the most current list of courses released by the host university. Courses and contact hours are subject to change. Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the Colombia Program Manager.
- If you are at the advanced Spanish level (4 or more semesters of college-level Spanish), you can consult the complete Universidad EAFIT course list for more options.
- Course levels are determined by local students' degree plans. Courses without a course level designation are supplemental courses and course levels must be determined by the home university.
- Course Credit
- According to ISA policy, you must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by your home institution, for the duration of the program. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by your home university.
- You may enroll in 4-5 courses (12-16 U.S. Semester Credits).
- Language Courses
- You will have the opportunity to enroll in 4-week intensive courses at the university's Spanish as a Foreign Language Program, the first in Colombia to be certified by the Spanish Instituto Cervantes.
- Please note these courses will not appear on your transcript. You will receive a certificate and will have to petition your home university to receive credit for the course.
- Spanish language course enrollment occurs on site once your final course list has been determined.
- Please note language courses may have an additional cost. Contact the Medellín Site Specialist for more information.
- Language placement exam details will be provided on site.
- Business Spanish - no credit is a course available at an additional cost.
- The transcript from the Universidad EAFIT will reflect credits for each course listed below, with the exception of language courses that say "no credit". The contact hours for each course will not be reflected on the transcript, but are listed below to assist with credit transfer. Please be in touch with your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
select allclear all
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
Wondering how you’ll fund your program? ISA’s got you covered! If you receive financial aid for your home university, you will likely be able to use those funds for study abroad too. The first step is usually speaking with your home university. Check out the steps for using financial aid here.
Need to know how much to budget for a term abroad? Take a look at the additional expenses you might expect, depending on your program.
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. We offer over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, visit the scholarships and grants page.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Colombian lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor to Colombia. With an open-mind and flexibility, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
We strive to match your housing preferences with our available accommodations, however, housing preference requests cannot be guaranteed.
Residencias are occupied primarily by international students. At the residencia, you will have your own bedroom and will likely share a bathroom. Residencias do not include meals or laundry service, but you will have access to the shared kitchen and laundry facilities. Basic cookware and cutlery and weekly cleaning of common areas is included. All residencias include WiFi and most are located in a gated residential neighborhood just a 15-20 minute walk to the university.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Admire the pueblo's colorful zocalos and hike up desination hotspot La Piedra del Peñol.
Medellín City Tour
Contemplate the famous sculptures at Plaza Botero, take in the view of the city from Pueblito Paisa and ride the cable car overlooking the city.
Santa Fe de Antioquia
Gaze upon 16th century colonial architecture and visit the Western Suspension Bridge.
The Coffee Triangle
Relax in the famous Santa Rosa de Cabal hot springs, explore Armenia and the colonial pueblo of Salento, and walk among the world's tallest palm trees in Valle de Cocora.
Cultural Activities in Medellín
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the city and culture of Medellín. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Medellín special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included cooking and dance classes, a soccer match, service day, visits to the Silleteros of Santa Elena and the Comuna 13 neighborhood.