Spanish Reading and Conversation
Florida State University-Valencia Study Center
Area of Study
Grammar, Linguistics, Modern Languages, Spanish
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units0
Hours & Credits
It is essential to have enrolled in SPN 3300 have an upper-intermediate level of proficiency in Spanish.
Spanish-Spanish Dictionary (required and purchased in Valencia)
This is course in conversation, reading, and writing in Spanish. Focus is directed towards those students that dominate the Spanish Language while speaking, reading, writing, and listening. The objectives for this course are: style, fluency, velocity, pronunciation, clarity, and acquiring a vast and profound vocabulary from various contexts.
1. Class attendance is obligatory.
2. No absences are permitted.
3. Coming to class drunk, hung over, or to take a nap results in an absence.
4. Obligatory attendance on the Madrid and Jaca trips.
5. For every absence and instance of lateness, the student must explain his/her motives to the professor.
6. Obligatory attendance in Spanish Club and Conversation Exchange Activities.
7. Each absence and instance of tardiness affects the participation grade and overall grade by 5% points. For example:
In each circumstance (unexcused absence, tardiness, or lack of participation), the professor reserves the right to lower the final grade 5 percentage points.
Example: 95% A ? (2 absences x 5): 95% A ?10%= 85% B
Slang Book 25
1. No food, soft drinks, or coffee in the class room.
2. Bottled water is permitted.
3. No hats, handkerchiefs, or bandanas to be worn in class.
4. No coming to class in pajamas.
5. No wearing of flip flops on all class excursions.
6. No speaking while the professor or a fellow colleague is talking.
7. English Prohibited.
8. No make ups of quizzes, exams or work unless official documentation is provided.
It is important that the student come to class and actively participate on a daily basis. Class will be conducted in Spanish ONLY!!!! The use of English is prohibited (If there are difficulties in understanding grammar concepts they will be clarified in English)!!!. Therefore, it is recommended that the students come to class ready and mentally prepared to discuss the material in Spanish.
IMPORTANT: FAILING TO PREPARE IS PREPARING TO FAIL. MISSING A CLASS DOES NOT JUSTIFY COMING TO CLASS WITHOUT HAVING PREPARED THE READING OR HOMEWORK. SO, CONSULT YOUR SYLLABUS, A COLLLEAGUE, OR THE PROFESSOR. NO EXCUSES.
Each student will maintain a slang book throughout the whole semester. It should contain all words, expressions, and idioms that they learn from their encounters with people outside of class. Must be in a notebook. The professor will collect it at the end of the semester.
Throughout the semester, students will conduct a series of interviews with native Valencianos. These interviews will cover a variety of social and cultural issues that are pertinent to the present day popular culture of Spain and the City of Valencia. NO ONE RELATED WITH FSU IN AN CAPACITY IS PERMITTED TO BE INTERVIEWED.
There will be quizzes on all concepts presented in class, vocabulary, and from the readings. Take good notes and be attentive.
1. ALL INFORMATION AND CONTENT OF THE INTERVIEW MUST BE TRANSCRIBED AND TYPED.
2. WILL HAVE 1? MARGINS ON ALL SIDES.
3. WILL BE WRITTEN IN FONT 12 NEW COURIER.
4. PLEASE PROVIDE
A. NAME OF THE PERSON BEING INTERVIEWED.
B. WHERE THE PERSON IS FROM
C. THEIR AGE
F. LOCATION WHERE INTERVIEW TOOK PLACE.
G. YOUR NAME
I. SCRIPT OF QUESTIONS.
5. CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY
CAN BE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING: A BUSINESS CARD, A PICTURE WITH THEM, A SIGNATURE, ETC.
1. Must contain all words and expressions learned outside of class.
2. Words mentioned in class are prohibited!!!!!!
3. There can be no repetition of words.
4. Must hand in at mid and end of semester!!!!!
5. Must meet the following page quantities:
A 15 pages
A- 14 pages
B+ 13 pages
B 12 pages
B- 11 pages
C+ 10 pages
C 9 pages
C- 8 pages
D+ 7 pages
D 6 pages
D- 5 pages
F 0-4 pages
The professor reserves the right to make modifications to course content as special opportunities arise throughout the session.
Students with disabilities needing academic accommodations should register with and provide documentation to the Student Disability Resource Center of their home campus. Moreover an official letter must be given to the instructor and the Student Services Dept. of FSU Spain indicating the need for accommodations and what type. This must be done the first week of instruction.
ACADEMIC HONOR SYSTEM:
Students are expected and required to abide by the Academic Honor System as outlined in the FSU General Bulletin.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations