Popular Subject Areas
Spanish Language & Latin American Literature
The Universidad Latina - Heredia is a highly regarded private university and part of the Laureate International Universities network. The campus is made up of a number of buildings interspersed with sun-lit courtyards, green spaces and quiet tropical gardens. Founded in 1985 as the Universidad Internacional de Costa Rica, the school's undergraduate and graduate programs are also fully accredited by the Costa Rican Ministry of Education.
Today, it offers undergraduate courses in a wide area of practical sciences, education, and business-related fields. The Universidad Latina strives to make education accessible to both the traditional full-time student and the non-traditional working student. The university's enrollment is currently growing at a rate of about twenty percent a year, a strong testimony of the school's value and quality.
Summer 1 2023
May 27, 2023 - Jun 17, 2023
Mar 25, 2023
Forms and Payment Deadline
Apr 25, 2023
45 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Study Abroad Program Description
Designed for students interested in the Spanish language and/or Latin American literature, this program offers courses to ISA students at the intermediate and advanced levels of Spanish. You will be able to enroll in either one 45-hour intermediate Spanish language course or one 45-hour advanced Spanish language or literature courses. Your language level will be determined by the number of semesters/quarters of college-level Spanish you have previously taken.
You will benefit from an intimate classroom environment with other ISA students, and enjoy a lovely and quintessential college campus at the Universidad Latina. Courses are taught by the faculty at the university.
Enjoy Flexibility with ISA Flex
We’ve partnered with Arizona State University (ASU) to help you overcome common study abroad challenges by adding an ASU Online course to your ISA program. With more than 2,100 courses to choose from, ISA Flex minimizes academic challenges, like major requirements and limited course options, so you can make the most of your experience abroad. Once you’ve applied, access the Flex form in your ISA Student Portal for more information on how to add this to your program and enroll in the course you need.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
Students must have completed or tested out of a minimum of two semesters (three quarters) of college-level Spanish
To participate in this program, you must be 18 years of age or older.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Orientation
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
4 - 5
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Students wishing to enroll in any advanced Spanish courses must have completed at least four college semesters of Spanish or the equivalent by the beginning of the program.
- Students wishing to enroll in the intermediate course must have completed at least two college semesters of Spanish or the equivalent by the beginning of the program.
- Only Intermediate I Spanish will be offered during the Summer 1 program, and only Intermediate II will be offered during the Summer 2 program. Students may opt into enrolling in the back-to-back Summer 1 and 2 programs and progress through two levels of Intermediate Spanish.
- Course availability is based on enrollment numbers. You should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancelations.
- You will be in class with other ISA students and be taught by a local professor.
- Please note that the course codes listed with the course titles are codes used by the host university but do not correspond to course level recommendations. We advise that each institution have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regarding course levels.
- Transfer credits earned will be decided entirely by your home university. It is important to be in touch with your university about course approvals and transfer credit pre-departure.
- According to ISA policy, you must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by your home university.
- Language placement will be determined by the amount of Spanish courses a student has completed in college. See Course Selection for details.
- Students must have completed two semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent to enroll in this program.
Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the Costa Rica Program Manager.
select allclear all
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
Wondering how you’ll fund your program? ISA’s got you covered! If you receive financial aid for your home university, you will likely be able to use those funds for study abroad too. The first step is usually speaking with your home university. Check out the steps for using financial aid here.
Need to know how much to budget for a term abroad? Take a look at the additional expenses you might expect, depending on your program.
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. We offer over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, visit the scholarships and grants page.View all Funding Options
ISA Housing in Heredia allows students to enjoy an immersive experience living in a Costa Rican (Tico) home with a local family. With an open mind and flexibility, the experience of living in another culture will be both educational and highly rewarding.
ISA Heredia homestays allow students to experience aspects of Costa Rican or "tico" lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor. All housing is located in middle to upper class neighborhoods near the Universidad Latina and offers glimpses of everyday life with easy access to city amenities. Homestays include breakfast and dinner every day (except for excursion days) and laundry service once a week. In your homestay you will have your own bedroom, although there may be another ISA student living in the same homestay. This will be a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a new place and live as a local would, so take advantage, immerse yourself in the "pura vida", and let yourself become a Tico!
You may opt to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price. By choosing to opt out of ISA housing, you are responsible for researching and reserving housing, and paying all fees, deposits, and rent directly to the housing facility that you choose.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Punta Leona * Optional
On this excursion, you will have the opportunity to visit Carara national park, a famous national park in Costa Rica that is known for its rich biodiversity. You will also spend the night in a hotel on a private reserve on the beach, where you can enjoy the spectacular views, free activities, and optional tours.
La Paz Waterfall Gardens
La Paz Waterfall Gardens is the largest animal sanctuary in Costa Rica with over 100 species of animals, and 3.5 kilometers of Cloud and Rainforest Hiking Trails. You will discover a lush tropical rainforest, filled with flowing white rivers, 5 spectacular waterfalls, and a variety of animals including birds, felines, sloths, butterflies, monkeys, hummingbirds, snakes, and frogs.
Cultural Activities in Heredia
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the culture of Costa Rica. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Costa Rica special. These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included cooking classes, dance classes, a tour of the National Theatre, a scavenger hunt at the Heredia market, an exchange with locals, etc.