Conflict Resolution in Northern Ireland
Dublin City University
Area of Study
British Studies, Irish Culture, Peace and Conflict
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
The aim of this module is to provide an awareness of the social, political and ideological background to the formation of identity in Northern Ireland, as well as to review the different mechanisms that have made the resolution of the conflict possible.
1. Identify the historical conditions which produced the Northern Ireland conflict.
2. Describe the competing ideologies and identities at work in Northern Ireland.
3. Discuss critically the issues of terrorism and peace-keeping in the Irish and other contexts.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the dominant political, religious and cultural affiliations in Northern Ireland.
5. Explain the key issues of, and stages in, the Peace Process in Northern Ireland.