Comparative Health Systems
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Health Administration, Health Science
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
In this module, students examine the features of the Irish health system, explore the politics of health policy making, and analyse health systems through a comparative approach.
1. Discuss what is meant by a 'health system'
2. Explore the politics and the finances of health policy making
3. Describe the principal features of the health systems in Ireland and abroad.
4. Explore the factors which account for the different structures of different health systems
5. Critically evaluate the ways in which different health systems meet common problems, and the impact of these choices on the efficiency, effectiveness and fairness of the system
6. Critically analyse and evaluate the features and outcomes of health systems using a comparative approach
7. Debate current proposals for the reform of the Irish health system