Formulation & Delivery of Biopharmaceuticals
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Pharmacy, Pre-Pharmacy
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
The aim of this module is to provide students with a critical overview of the challenges in administering biopharmaceuticals and strategies for overcoming the main delivery barriers. State of the art concepts for successful formulation and delivery of therapeutic peptides, proteins, nucleic acid-based drugs and vaccines will be described.
1. List the major challenges in delivery of Biopharmaceuticals and explain why advanced delivery systems are needed
2. Describe how protein and peptide injectables may be chemically modified for improved delivery
3. Critically discuss novel non-injectable formulation approaches of peptide and protein drugs
4. Cite clinical trials using chemical and viral vectors for delivery of nucleic acids.
5. Evaluate commercial feasibility of lipid nanoparticles and polymer-based delivery systems for achieving real clinical applications.
6. Explain the role of freeze-drying technology in drug delivery systems