IT Skills & Software Tools for Managers
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Information Technologies, Management of Technology
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
This module focuses on how information technology tools can assist and support the individual manager in solving business and managerial problems. The module aims to give students a solid basic understanding of the personal computer, related peripherals and networks including the internet and world wide web. The module also gives students a thorough grounding in the use of common business software tools including spreadsheets, word processing and presentation. The module focuses particularly on using visualisation to effectively communicate data sets. Students will apply these principles and tools in solving business or managerial problems. The module will be delivered as a series of lectures over the semester supported by a series of computer laboratory sessions. The laboratory sessions will cover file management, spreadsheets, document and presentation preparation and visualisation tools.
1. Explain the basic operations of computers and information systems
2. Utilise applications to create spreadsheets and to write and format business reports
3. Use applications in an efficient and professional manner.
4. Solve business problems using IT tools (incl. spreadsheets).
5. Apply the basic principles in effectively communicating data visually.
6. Utilise online tools to both collect and present data sets.