Dublin City University
Area of Study
Computer Info Systems, Computer Science
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
The aim of this module is to introduce the student to modern operating systems: what an operating system is, what it does and how it does it.
1. Explain the interfaces to and the role of an operating system
2. Summarise the process life-cycle and apply a selection of scheduling algorithms
3. Write multithreaded programs and employ synchronisation and locking mechanisms to solve concurrency-related issues
4. Critically evaluate a selection of approaches to implementing virtual memory
5. Identify the issues facing file system designers and explain how they are solved
6. Choose appropriately between interprocess communication mechanisms and write programs that use those mechanisms