Dublin City University
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units5
Hours & Credits
This module will introduce students to the notions of vectors, matrices and linear maps in (finite dimensional) Euclidean Spaces. Infinite dimensional vector spaces, in the context of Fourier Series, will be considered also. The module aims to give students a working knowledge of the methods and applications of linear algebra. Applications will be chosen with their significance to the students disciplines in mind. Students will attend lectures on the course material and will work, independently, to solve problems on topics related to the course material. The students will have an opportunity to review their solutions, with guidance, at weekly tutorials.
1. solve systems of linear equations.
2. perform various operations with vectors and matrices, in particular, be able to calculate eigenspaces and apply such calculations to the diagonalization of matrices.
3. apply linear algebraic methods to geometic problems in 2 and 3 dimensions.
4. calculate trigonometric Fourier Series of elementary functions defined on finite intervals and sketch the periodic extensions of such functions
5. demonstrate an understanding of concepts by use of examples or counterexamples.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits are converted to semester credits/quarter units differently among U.S. universities. Students should confirm the conversion scale used at their home university when determining credit transfer.
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.