Topics in Astrophysics
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
To introduce students to galactic and extra-galactic astronomy. In particular to the classification, evolution and dynamics of galaxies with an emphasis on developing a theoretical understanding of the physics involved.
1. describe the properties of the various classes of galaxies, including the observations of the interstellar medium in the different classes
2. describe the physical properties of the states of the Interstellar Medium and/or explain theories for their existence
3. examine gravitational instabilities in self-gravitating fluids using linear stability analysis.
4. describe the properties of the various types of shocks in the interstellar medium.
5. derive mathematical descriptions of the motions of large numbers of stars in a galaxy
6. draw together information from different sources in the scientific literature to present a clear picture of a given topic in galactic astrophysics.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits are converted to semester credits/quarter units differently among U.S. universities. Students should confirm the conversion scale used at their home university when determining credit transfer.
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.